Located in Asia, India is the largest sugar producer in the world, and the Asian nation ranks second, behind Brazil in terms of exports of sugar. The Indian Government may consider raising the Sugar Exporter quota for the 2022-23 fiscal year in January after the December’22 production figures are out.
India exported a record 111 lakh tonnes of sugar in 2021-22. The marketing year for sugar starts in October and ends in September.
Increase In Sugar Production In India
As per the industry body ISMA’s information, India’s sugar production in the October-December quarter of the current marketing year increased by 3.69% to 120.7 lakh tonnes.
India’s sugar production was 116.4 lakh tonnes during the same period in the previous marketing year. The Indian Sugar Mills Association (ISMA) reported that around 509 mills are involved in the crushing process as against 500 mills in the same period last year.
ISMA reported in a statement that in the October-December period of the 2022-23 marketing year,
- Uttar Pradesh’s sugar production reached the previous year’s level of 3.09 million tonnes
- The production increased in Maharashtra from 4.58 million tonnes to 4.68 million tonnes.
- Karnataka’s sugar output increased marginally from 26.1 lakh tonnes to 26.7 lakh tonnes.
- Sugar production in Gujrat reached 3.8 lakh tonnes.
- The Tamil Nadu sugar production was reported at 2.6 lakh tonnes. ● Sugar production in other states was at 9.9 lakh tonnes in the October-December period of the current marketing year.
ISMA’s sugar production estimates for the 2022-23 marketing year i.e. 365 lakh tonnes showed a growth of 2% when compared to the previous year’s output which was recorded at 358 lakh tonnes.
The GOI may consider increasing the sugar export quota for the current 2022-23 marketing year after assessing the domestic production in January once the sugar production figures come in.
If you are an importer willing to buy bulk quantities of sugar or are an exporter thinking to grow your sugar business, then Tradologie.com is the right platform for you. Tradologie has 70,000+ registered sellers and 600,000+ registered buyers of various food and agro-commodities in its network and through the platform, you can buy or sell sugar in bulk with ease.
To stay updated with the latest happenings in the agro-trade industry, follow Tradologie.com across all social media channels.