Rice is one of the major food items in many countries. It is consumed by a majority of the human population worldwide. It grows in moist conditions, which are common in the Asian region. The Philippines and China are the leading rice importing countries during 2020.
With countries such as India, Thailand, Vietnam, and Pakistan having the highest export volume of rice globally, Asia is the world’s largest rice exporting continent. Paddy farming is important to these countries’ economic development.
The Asian region has over 200 million rice fields and accounts for around 90 percent of global rice output.
You will find thousands of varieties of rice in the Asian continent, like, Basmati rice, Jasmine rice, Calrose rice, Long Grain Rice, Glutinous rice, Brown rice, Koshy rice, Japonica rice, etc.
In this article, we will throw light on the world’s top 10 largest importers of rice.
Following are the largest Rice Importing Countries worldwide:
- Rice is the staple food of Filipinos.
- The Philippines top the list of largest rice importers by procuring 2.5 Million Metric Tons of rice in 2020. Generally, it imports rice from Vietnam and Thailand.
- In the Philippines, uncooked rice is known as Bigas, and cooked rice is called Kanin.
- This country’s inhabitants enjoy both sticky and slender long grain rice.
- Despite being the world’s largest producer of rice, China imports rice from other nations.
- It is the world’s second-largest buyer of paddy crops. In 2020, China produced around 2.8 Million Metric Tons of rice while it imported approximately 2.3 Million Metric Tons of rice.
- It buys rice mostly from Thailand, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Pakistan. Glutinous, Japonica, and Indica rice are popular among Chinese people.
- The European Union is comprised of 27 member nations that enable the free movement of commodities, services, and people.
- It ranks third in the world in rice procurement. European Union imported approximately 2.3 Million Metric Tons of paddies in 2019-2020.
- France, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, India, and Germany export rice to the majority of European countries.
- Japonica, a type of locally produced rice is widely popular among Europeans.
- Saudi Arabia is the fourth-largest buyer of rice. A great part of this country is surrounded by desert, which makes rice cultivation difficult.
- This country has imported 1.35 Million Metric Tons of rice in 2019-2020.
- Saudi imports rice from 15 countries, including India, Pakistan, USA, Thailand, Australia, Vietnam, Brazil, Bangladesh, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, China, the Philippines, and Argentina.
- Saudi Arabia purchases a large quantity of Indian Basmati rice every year. They use this aromatic rice in preparation of Al Kabsa, Mathlotha, Ruz al Bukhari, etc.
- Senegal is a West African country and is ranked 5th in the list of the world’s largest importers of rice.
- In 2019-2020 it purchased 1.15 Million Metric Tons of rice.
- India, Thailand, and Brazil are the major supplier of rice to Senegal.
- Jollof rice is the most popular dish of Senegal: cooked with long grain and aromatic Jasmine rice.
Iraq, Iran & Côte D’ivoire:
- All these three countries hold 6th position by importing 1.1 Million Metric Tons of rice in 2019-2020. India supplies the maximum quantity of rice grains to both Iraq and Iran.
- Côte d’Ivoire lies on the south coast of West Africa. The rice production of this country is very low; only 8% of people cultivate rice here. Hence it imports high quantities of rice from other countries.
Nigeria, South Africa & UAE:
- Nigeria, South Africa & UAE ranks 7th on the list.
- These countries’ rice import volume in 2019-2020 was 1 Million Metric Tons. Generally, Nigeria, South Africa, and the UAE import rice from India, Pakistan, and Thailand.
Tradologie.com brings you the most convenient route to bulk procurement of Rice directly from the leading rice exporters and producers enrolled with us.
Tradologie.com is the world’s 1st Next-Generation B2B inquiry to delivery trade enabling a platform facilitating trade of Agri-commodities, raw industrial, and construction material, across the globe.
Over the past four years of operation, Tradologie.com has been able to develop a network of over 3,25,000 verified buyers across 65 countries who have successfully transacted trade over 40 billion through tradologie.com with more than 35000 verified manufacturers and exporters working out of 35 countries.
Tradologie.com works by standardizing buyer requirements and arranging live negotiations with verified sellers capable of supplying the buyer on the platform on standardized trade policies which allow for the trade without a phone call or email through the safe conduit provided by Tradologie.com.