Wheat is one of the most significant food crops, accounting for approximately one-fifth of the global calorie supply. Nearly 19 percent of the world’s wheat output is marketed globally, largely as exports from OECD nations, notably Australia, Canada, the European Union (EU), and the United States, to impoverished countries to meet food requirements.
This write-up features the top 5 wheat exporting countries during 2020-21.
We all know that Wheat is the most extensively stockpiled food crop as a barrier against production deficits, with an average of 30% of global wheat output carried over from one crop year to another.
The global wheat scenario, key players’ and wheat policies are crucial to many nations’ food security and culinary choices.
Wheat is produced in 120 countries and accounts for about 19 percent of the world’s calorie supplies.
It is generally used as flour in the production of bread, pastry, pasta, and noodles. It is also used to feed animals, accounting for around 17% of world wheat consumption. Moreover, the residues of wheat milling are used as fodder; and this is the major reason that many farmers and suppliers store wheat for several years without degradation under ideal conditions.
Wheat is grown in a range of climates, with technologies ranging from completely mechanical production and harvesting on huge tracts to hand planting and harvesting on tiny plots. Non-OECD nations produce around 61 percent of wheat.
The European Union, China, and India are the top producers of wheat, accounting for 18, 16, and 13% of world output, respectively.
Here is the list of the top 5 Wheat exporting countries worldwide during 2020-21-
Volume in Thousand Metric Tons
|The United States||27000|
Note- Data sourced from credible sources and figures are approximations only.
- Being the world’s fourth-largest wheat producer Russia emerged as the largest exporter also.
- It has exported a volume of 39000 thousand metric tons during 2020-21.
- Egypt and Turkey are the largest buyers of wheat from Russia.
- According to USDA, Russia’s wheat output for the marketing year 2021-22 may fall by 9% due to bad weather in recent months, which has lowered yield expectations.
The United States
- The United States is the second-largest wheat exporter in the world after Russia.
- It has exported a volume of 27 Million Metric Tons of wheat during 2020-21.
- It is also the fifth-largest wheat-producing nation in the world. Almost every state in The US is involved in wheat production.
- Egypt, Indonesia, and Turkey are the largest export destinations for US wheat.
- European Union is the third largest wheat exporter with 26.5 Million Metric Tons during 2020-21.
- It also stands tall at the top of the list of top wheat-producing countries.
- Ukraine, Canada, and Russia were the top three wheat exporters to the EU.
- China is the major destination for European Union’s wheat export.
- During the last business year, which covered from July 1, 2019, to February 1, 2020, The EU, including the UK, shipped 19.87 Million Metric tons of wheat on September 9, 2020.
- Canada is the fourth-largest exporter of wheat in the world.
- It has exported a volume of 26.5 Million Metric tons of wheat during 2020-21.
- Canadian wheat sales to China, Peru, Indonesia, Nigeria, and the United States have propelled Canadian exports more than two million tons ahead of last year’s pace.
- Ukraine is the fifth largest wheat exporting country in the world with 17.5 Million Metric Ton during 2020-21.
- It is also the world’s sixth-largest producer of wheat, generating about 27 million tons per year. Higher efficiency is pushing Ukraine’s position as a significant agricultural producer.
- In 2020, Asia, Africa, and Europe were the top importers of Ukrainian wheat.
Tradologie.com is the world’s 1st Next-Generation B2B Enquiry to delivery trade enabling a platform majorly facilitating trade of Agri-commodities across the globe.
Over the past four years of operation, Tradologie.com has been able to develop a network of over 3,50,000 verified buyers across 65 countries who have successfully transacted trade over USD 40 billion through tradologie.com with more than 35000 verified manufacturers and exporters working out of 15 countries.
Tradologie.com works by standardizing buyer requirements and arranging live negotiations with verified sellers capable of supplying the buyer on the platform on standardized trade policies. This allows for the trade without a phone call or an email through the safe conduit provided by Tradologie.com.